Friday, February 10, 2012

Welcome the United Arab Emirates National Symphony Orchestra - The National

Welcome the United Arab Emirates National Symphony Orchestra - The National

Good luck to Andy with this venture. Andy plays with the Abu Dhabi Big Band from time to time and has lately been rehearsing and conducting us too. He is a great guy and full of fun. There was a letter today in the paper from the leader of the existing UAE Philharmonic Orchestra, saying that there are not enough musicians to support both orchestras. I do have sympathy with this argument - even the existing UAEPO is not up to much - we went to hear them at Christmas and were pretty disappointed - so I'm not sure how two can survive? Maybe the UAENSO will prosper better and take over?

You never know - I may even get a couple of gigs! - Andy? :-)

Not enough musicians to go around - The National



2 comments:

  1. I don't know what you have so much to be disappointed about, considering there is only one orchestra in the UAE. What other UAE orchestra were you comparing it to?

    I find your comments disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I think my point supports somewhat the argument that there are not enough musicians around - there is only one at present, so presumably has most of the players available, and I didn't think the standard was that great. Comparing to what? Well I think my local town's SO at home was probably better. Anyway, I have heard them only once, so I am prepared to accept that it could have been an "off" day.

    Sorry you were disappointed in my opinion - however I am entitled to it.

    ReplyDelete