Wednesday, June 3, 2009

UK Work visit

I took a train today to do a work visit to one of our UK based suppliers, much to Caz's annoyance at me taking a day out of our weeks holiday to do it! The appointment will however hopefully sort some things out that will make my life easier in one of my accounts when I get back, so for me it is worth it. And anyway, I'll get the day back on my return.

Being on a train again was a good experience. What a difference it could make if the UAE (and GCC beyond) had a good train service. I was on South West Trains which went on time, was clean and comfortable. The only thing that was a pain was my phone cutting in and out as I was trying to catch up with the office in Dubai.

It was lovely to see the green countryside of England as I travelled through to the New Forest, where the company was based. I do miss the greenness when I am in the UAE.

Costa here isn't the same though without the "Hello sirrrrrr", or "Make it hot for you sirrrrrr?" (a favourite service offer of mine). You do notice the lower service levels here, although often it's not that you don't get it, it's just the attitude with which it is given. A smile wouldn't go amiss.

The British love to be moaning about something, so as it has been about 26C and sunny here loads of people are complaining about the heat. Some people just can't be pleased, the ones now moaning about the heat are probably the same ones moaning about the cold earlier in the year! I can honestly say that after Abu Dhabi I will never again say I am hot in England! There has been a lovely cool breeze with the sun which you just don't get in the UAE in the summer. Any wind in the summer in Abu Dhabi is like turning a hairdryer on straight into your face.

Off to meet an old work mate for a drink in the City (of London) this afternoon, so will be good to catch up and have a natter. Caz says we gossip more than girls do, but I don't actually think that is possible. We do moan a lot about people and work etc., but men could never bitch like women, well not straight ones anyway.

Laters.......

No comments:

Post a Comment