Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Leaning tower my butt!

getimage.aspx.4obbZP1XZwlR.jpg
Leaning tower of Abu Dhabi makes Pisa sit up straight
Matt Kwong mkwong@thenational.ae Online forum: what buildings, other than the Leaning Tower of Pisa, could Abu Dhabi emulate?
The National - News
06 Jun 2010


Italy’s Leaning Tower of Pisa may tilt necks, but Abu Dhabi’s Capital Gate puts a new slant on edgy architecture. Guinness World Records officials this week named the 160-metretall UAE landmark as the “World’s Furthest Leaning Manmade Tower”,...read more...


This story appeared this week. It was said long ago that they would be applying for this record. Actually I think it is a great shame the an icon like the Tower of Pisa is displaced in the record books by what I believe to be a sham. The tower is not “leaning” at all in the truest sense. I have had some involvement with this project last year so I am aware of it’s internal construction. I have made a crude drawing below (sorry - I did fail technical drawing at O level!)....

This is the tower....


































...and below shows how the internal “core” of the building is in fact perfectly straight. The floor areas just build out to either side giving the impression that it is leaning. What a swiz!!





























OK, I it’s a crap drawing, it’s not going to be an exact replica of how it is done, but you get the idea. I think it is a cheek to take the record away from Pisa - and I think the Guinness Book of Records should reconsider.



1 comment:

  1. I understand architectural design and construction and agree it is a cheap and tawdry trick to gain recognition. Not the first I have seen here.

    ReplyDelete