Friday, February 20, 2009

Maternity Madness

Caroline has complained on more than one occasion that I have entitled the Blog "Neil & Caz" but basically I write it and it's nearly all about me! Well here's one of her stories. Caz works in a local maternity hospital as a midwife. She could easily fill a blog herself just on what happens there! Each ward has a "VIP" suite to which eligible expectant mothers are invited by Sheikha Fatima bint Murbarak (Sheikh Zayed's widow) on hand written invites in gold ink. Now when one of these local VIPs has a baby it is like nothing you will have seen before. Firstly the room is decked out in furnishing brought from home including (I kid you not) chandeliers (!), rugs, cupboards etc. When the baby arrives a big party is held in the room with all her lady friends and family. A massive feast is brought to the room and outside the room is filled with balloons, chocolates and other decorations. Like the examples below:-







Now, she thought she'd seen it all until this week..... Outside one of the rooms, in the hospital corridor, appeared a cage with two live white doves! They were left there all day and overnight with no food or drink and a small square of astro turf. Caz felt sorry for them and sneaked a dish of water into the cage! Anyway, here's the evidence:-





1 comment:

  1. I vote that Caz needs a blog. I see so many women online seeking information about maternity care in Abu Dhabi.

    The whole doves in a cage with no water or food is something really bothers me about coming to the Middle East. I lived in South East Asia a long time ago and the animal cruelty there really distressed me.

    ReplyDelete