Friday, October 2, 2009

Driving change

I have realised that it has been a while since I last blogged about the driving standards here, or about some ridiculous driving incident. It's definitely not that driving standards have improved, I think it is more that after 15 months of driving here (and I can't believe I am saying this), I am getting used to it! The things is, the unpredictability of their driving has become predictable! I think sometimes I know what they are going to do before they do themselves. I now just ignore the tailgaters on the highways if I am overtaking myself, I just figure that they will just have to wait until it is convenient for me to pull over. I refuse now to be intimidated into pulling over just because they can't wait for me to overtake. Of course many are still impatient enough that they will pull onto the hard shoulder to overtake me, but that now longer shocks me.

There was an article in the newspaper recently describing the bad driving as like a virus that spreads. I have to agree, because I think I have caught a mild strain of it! I find myself performing manoeuvres that I would never in a million years consider doing at home - mainly for fear of pissing someone off enough that they get out of their car and stab me! And, in a way, that is part of the problem. No one gets out of their cars to rant and definitely no one gets their head kicked in or stabbed! Everyone just seems to accept that bad driving is the norm and because of this, I have joined the masses to some degree. I don't think I drive badly as a matter of course, but I do know that when I realise that I am going to miss my turning, none is going to care if I pull across 4 lanes to get to it!

Maybe it's a case of "if you can't beat 'em , join 'em" (the French should do well here), but I'm sure my mild outbreak is never going to be as severe as the virulent masses.

1 comment:

  1. Although I still endeavor to be a good driver. there is still the need to "go along to get along" here and if one doesn't adapt some aggressive driving traits one will be eaten alive. Its better not to be a goldfish in a pirhana's tank.

    I am also more comfortable driving now and am more efficient in knowing what to look for in "reading" the other drivers' intentions.

    In a perfect world, a 6" spike aiming at drivers' chests would replace the steering wheel airbags as a safety item. That may encourage some real courteous motoring.

    On second thought, that might not work here as the consequences may not be so apparent to some of our fellow drivers.

    One regret I have is that I don't have my Mustang GT V8 over here. My Jeep can barely get out of its own way. Power rules in the UAE!

    ReplyDelete